Sydney construction sites closed | Western Magazine
Shops in Greater Sydney have slaughtered tools as construction sites closed for two weeks as new strict COVID-19 restrictions began.
This is the first time the construction industry has been shut down in New South Wales since the start of the pandemic and State Labor calls on the federal government to reintroduce JobKeeper to help businesses and workers survive the more severe measures announced on Saturday.
Labor say the construction shutdown will cost the New South Wales economy at least $ 700 million a week and affect at least 250,000 workers.
Greater Sydney and surrounding areas have entered the fourth week of closure after the government imposed a series of new restrictions, including banning all construction work, closing non-essential outlets except supermarkets, pharmacies, banks and liquor stores.
Public transport has been cut and now operates on a Sunday schedule, while stay-at-home orders have been tightened in the Fairfield, Canterbury-Bankstown and Liverpool areas, with residents not allowed to leave until the 30th. July, unless – unless they are essential workers.
Australian Constructors Association CEO Jon Davies said the NSW construction industry had been blinded by the shutdown of the entire industry, saying it was “excessive and completely useless “.
“We are probably one of the best run industries from a COVID standpoint,” he told Sydney 2GB Radio on Monday.
The ban concerns bricklayers, glaziers, plumbers, electricians, gardeners, landscapers, painters and laborers who can only perform emergency maintenance.
Mr. Davies wants the government to come up with a support program for the industry.
“We have to find a way to financially support all these industries which are now going to do it the hard way,” he said.
Premier Gladys Berejiklian said there could be a five to six day lag until the number of COVID-19 cases begins to decline due to the latest lockdown restrictions.
She said the decision to impose tougher measures on the port city had made her anxious.
“I am not embarrassed to say that in public life yesterday was probably the most difficult day I have had personally,” she said on Sunday.
NSW Police will target Sydney beaches to ensure compliance, with “high visibility” patrols at Manly Beach, Bondi Beach and other coastal areas to ensure social distancing while people exercise.
Residents of Sydney are now required to wear a face mask when leaving their homes and to wear it when appropriate.
“The police will not hesitate to enforce the public health order if they discover that people are not complying with it,” he said in a statement on Sunday.
NSW recorded 105 new cases of the virus and the death of a 90-year-old woman in southeast Sydney on Sunday. The woman is the fourth to die in the current epidemic.
Some 27 people had been contagious while in the community.
“This is the number that worries us the most, we have seen it appear day after day,” said Ms Berejiklian.
A total of 66 of Sunday’s cases were linked to known clusters while 39 remain under investigation.
The state has yet to see a significant drop in the number of cases despite lockdown conditions in the capital for three weeks.
“We are launching everything on this, we want to get out of this lockdown as soon as possible,” the Prime Minister said.
A full list of NSW exhibition sites can be found at health.nsw.gov.au
Associated Australian Press