Ricky Martin denies domestic violence allegations: details
A restraining order has been filed against Ricky Martin under Puerto Rico’s domestic violence law, although the singer denied the charges.
“The allegations against Ricky Martin that led to a protective order are completely false and fabricated,” a rep for the 50-year-old “Living La Vida Loca” artist said. The Hollywood Reporter in a statement on Saturday, July 2. “We are very confident that when the true facts are revealed in this case, our client Ricky Martin will be fully vindicated.”
A local judge issued the protective order on Friday, July 1, according to a Saturday report from The Associated Press. The AP noted that the judge issued the request before authorities attempted to serve Martin — real name Enrique Martín Morales — with the order at his residence in Dorado, Puerto Rico.
“So far the police have not been able to find him”, police spokesman Axel Valencia told the outlet on Saturday, noting that, under the order, Martin is unable to contact the complainant. He also explained that the person who filed the order did not contact the police and went through the court.
The petition was filed after a complaint against the “Falta Amor” performer was filed under the territory’s Law 54, commonly known as the Domestic Abuse Prevention and Response Act. The bill was enacted in 1989 to address situations of domestic violence and under its provisions the name of the alleged victim was not released.
El Vocero, a local Puerto Rican newspaper, had reported that Martin and the alleged victim dated for seven months before breaking up earlier this year, which the former Menudo member did not accept. “The petitioner fears for his safety,” the newspaper said, citing the wording of the order.
Martin came out publicly as gay in March 2010 before marrying his longtime partner Jwan Yosef in 2017.
“It was amazing [to publicly come out],” the former Voice Australia mentor told radio station KIIS FM in May 2014. “I wish I could come back because that moment felt very happy. It’s really amazing and when it happens you realize that all your fears were in your head. The amount of support I received… from the media, [and] obviously my fans and family were amazing. Unfortunately, society leads us to believe that our feelings are wrong.
While Martin and the concept artist, 37, have yet to publicly announce their relationship status amid accusations on Friday, the couple share four children: twins Valentino and Matteo, both 14, Lucia, 3 years old, and Renn, 2 years old.
“My husband Jwan, I love you, my beautiful twins, Valentino and Matteo, they are here too, I love you with all my heart,” the musician previously said of his family during a speech during the national human rights campaign dinner in November 2019, before the birth of his son Renn. “You are my strength, you inspire me every day, you motivate me to keep doing what I do and you are amazing kids. You are amazing guys. I love you. …I love big families.
If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic violence, please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 for confidential support.